The categories of school information that we process include:
- personal information (such as name, employee or teacher number, national insurance number, address, email address)
- characteristics information (such as gender, age, ethnic group)
- contract information (such as start date, hours worked, post, roles and salary information)
- work absence information (such as number of absences and reasons)
- qualifications (and, where relevant, subjects taught)
- relevant medical information
This list is not exhaustive, to access the current list of categories of information we process please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) Data Protection Register on https://ico.org.uk/esdwebpages/search and enter ZA165247.
Why we collect and use workforce information
We use workforce data to:
- enable the development of a comprehensive picture of the workforce and how it is deployed
- inform the development of recruitment and retention policies
- enable individuals to be paid
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the legal basis / bases we rely on for processing personal information for general purposes are:
- Article 6 (GDPR) condition: Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the data controller is subject.
- Article 9 (GDPR) condition: For substantial public interest on legal basis. In addition, concerning any special category data:
Collecting workforce information
We collect personal information via staff contract forms.
Workforce data is essential for the school’s / local authority’s operational use. Whilst the majority of personal information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is requested on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with GDPR, we will inform you at the point of collection, whether you are required to provide certain information to us or if you have a choice in this.
Storing workforce information
We hold data securely for the set amount of time shown in our data retention schedule. For more information on our data retention schedule and how we keep your data safe, please contact the office.
Who we share workforce information with
We routinely share this information with:
- our local authority (where applicable)
- the Department for Education (DfE)
Why we share school workforce information
We do not share information about our workforce members with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
We are required to share information about our workforce members with our local authority (LA) under section 5 of the Education (Supply of Information about the School Workforce) (England) Regulations 2007 and amendments.
Department for Education
The Department for Education (DfE) collects personal data from educational settings and local authorities via various statutory data collections.
We are required to share information about our school employees with the (DfE) under section 5 of the Education (Supply of Information about the School Workforce) (England) Regulations 2007 and amendments.
All data is transferred securely and held by DfE under a combination of software and hardware controls which meet the current government security policy framework.
For more information, please see ‘How Government uses your data’ section.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to information about you that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, contact the office.
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
- a right to seek redress, either through the ICO, or through the courts
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we ask that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact: Mercenfeld Primary School, Oakfield Avenue, Markfield, Leicester, LE67 9WG
How Government uses your data
The workforce data that we lawfully share with the DfE through data collections:
- informs departmental policy on pay and the monitoring of the effectiveness and diversity of the school workforce
- links to school funding and expenditure
- supports ‘longer term’ research and monitoring of educational policy
Sharing by the Department
The Department may share information about school employees with third parties who promote the education or well-being of children or the effective deployment of school staff in England by:
- conducting research or analysis
- producing statistics
- providing information, advice or guidance
The Department has robust processes in place to ensure that the confidentiality of personal data is maintained and there are stringent controls in place regarding access to it and its use. Decisions on whether DfE releases personal data to third parties are subject to a strict approval process and based on a detailed assessment of:
- who is requesting the data
- the purpose for which it is required
- the level and sensitivity of data requested; and
- the arrangements in place to securely store and handle the data
To be granted access to school workforce information, organisations must comply with its strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of the data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
To contact the department: https://www.gov.uk/contact-dfe